NEJM – Journal Watch
By Kelly Young
Two Lancet articles highlight the unique healthcare challenges faced by homeless patients.
Some of the clinician-oriented recommendations from the authors include:
- Be particularly cognizant of infectious diseases like tuberculosis.
- Develop positive interpersonal relationships with patients who are homeless by respecting the individual and upholding the patient’s dignity.
- Integrate smoking cessation treatment into addiction treatment.
- Consider simplified treatment regimens for hypertension and diabetes with medications that do not have to be taken with food.
- Screen homeless adults aged 50 years and up for cognitive impairment, mobility impairment, urinary incontinence, and falls, and treat problems accordingly.
Lancet article #1 (Free abstract)
Lancet article #2 (Free abstract)
Background: NEJM Journal Watch Women’s Health coverage of healthcare for homeless women (Your NEJM Journal Watch registration required)